Sunday, June 27, 2010

The Morgue

oThis entry is going to be pretty non-horse related, but still cool.

Saturday morning I woke up super early--4:45. I had to do the barn, go back to the house and change/get ready, and drive into Louisville to get to the Dr. Corey's office by 7:30. Dr. Tracey Corey is the state medical examiner--she does autopsy cases. She is also a student of Martha's, which is how I got set up to shadow her this weekend. I lucked out! So I'm driving around, lost (of course), but in the vicinity of where I'm supposed to be.. kind of looking at the buildings, wondering which one is the one I need... and then I see two people rolling a body bag out of a set of doors--found it! I went in, and met one of the interns who gave me a tour of the facility but was told that surprisingly, there were no cases that day. So, you can't really complain about there being no dead people. Not that I was wishing someone would die...... but I really did want to see an autopsy. I left, a little dissappointed, but ready to return the next morning.

(I took Hickypoo for an easy little bareback walk that afternoon, too, since he had such a big day the day before.)

So, same drill this morning. Up early, didn't get lost, though. A wave of tiredness has suddenly hit me, so I'm going to spare you the super gory details (they truly are extraordinarily gorey). I got to see three autopsies--an overdose, and a husband/wife homicide-suicide. I think Dr. Corey is pretty amazing. It was an experience.

Also, rode new horse Marco today. Likely, more Marco stories at a later point in time.

No comments:

Post a Comment